Thursday, July 31, 2008

I know what you are thinking.......




Welcome to the world of throw-away-plants. The other day at work, my manager decided it was time to clean house and did he ever. So, I know you're thinking these poor, little, pitiful things might should have went to the garbage. But I can't stand to do that! So, I loaded up a bunch and brought them home.

On a former post or two I talked about my throw-away flower bed. About 90% of the plants in that bed were saved from the garbage. I have to admit it doesn't look too bad. It is a mix of perennials and annuals.

This is a list of what I managed to save:
*Black/blue salvia
*Saphire blue salvia
*2 Oriental lilies
*2 black elephant ears
*Acorus
*Star aster
*yellow Crocosmia
*Coreopsis
*Oxeye daisy(in pretty bad shape, not sure I can save it)
*8 Rudbeckia maxima(these are neat, they grow 5-7 feet tall)
*2 Perennial Chrysanthemum
*"Sour Grapes" Penstemon

I think that is about it. If I can get at least half of them to live I will feel pretty good about it. I may have to increase the size of my bed though. I may not make much money working at a nursery but it has some nice perks.

5 comments:

Becky said...

Check my blog for a surprise!

P.S. Come HOME sissy!!!

Casey said...

I love that you do that. I think it is awesome!

beckie said...

Susie, years ago, I worked at a greenhouse and did the same thing. It hurt my soul to see plants tossed on the garbage pile. Most of them were annuals, but I gave them a good home for the rest of the season. Good luck with yours-at least you have some perennials in the bunch.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see an updated picture of that bed Susie. It looked pretty good the last time. I don't blame you, if I worked at a nursery I would the same thing.

DP Nguyen said...

Hi Susie,

I hope these plants survive and will grace your garden with their beauty! Throw-away plants can often be a real bargain. Good luck!