Saturday, July 12, 2008

Flower Thief..........

Texas Star or swamp hibiscus
Blackberry lily
Crocosmia
Canna


Last night we decided to go out to dinner with my in-laws. Since my mother-in-law loves gardening and has a beautiful yard I decided to take my camera and see what was blooming. These photos show what I found.


The neat thing about the Texas star and the blackberry lily is she took seeds off my plants that were in GA and planted them in her garden here. (One of the hardest things about moving from GA was leaving all my plants). So now I'm collecting seeds from these plants and am going to plant them here.


But the Canna has a story on its own. It seems my mother-in-law is a plant thief. She probably traveled around with a shovel and bucket all the time. (Doesn't every gardener?) She told us the story of how one time when they were in Oxford for a football game they stayed at a Holiday Inn. She spotted the Canna and thought how pretty it was. Well when they were getting ready to leave either she or he dug while the other kept a look out. Now, of course, she has plenty in her yard.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oops I guess she really wanted that canna, huh? :) I love the blackberry lily. I tried growing that here and it died. Maybe I had it in the wrong place. You can grow it from the seed? That is cool. The flowers were lovely. Thanks for sharing. :)

Susie said...

p.g. In Ga I use to just grab the seed off the plant and throw it around. It came up like crazy. There I had it planted in morning-noon shade and then afternoon shade. My mother-in-law has hers in filtered sun and shade.

Becky said...

Shame on Tommy and Frances. However, I will have to confess. I used to keep guard while Alvin dug up wildflowers at the Jacksonport State Park. Shame, shame.

Cheryl said...

Your mother in law has a colourful and warm display....

The canna is a lovely plant but tender here due to the frosts we get in winter.....

Susie said...

Cheryl,

Thanks for visiting my site. My mother-in law really does have a beautiful yard. She's 80 and still going strong! She loves to garden and I know that keeps her young.