Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Great Weekend!

This weekend we decided to take hubbies mom/dad to Memphis, TN for a little visit. Luckily we live only about 3 - 4 hours away so its a nice drive.It seems the more we visit this place the more I like it. In this pic is the Pyramid where they use to have big concerts and show. I don't know what takes place in it now.This is the bridge that crosses the MS river from TN into AR. There is always lots of traffic on this bridge.They have these cute little streetcars that they use. Looks like fun to me!Memphis has so much history. I guess that's one reason it's fun to explore. Here's Sun Records studio. This is where Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis got their start.This is the main reason we went to Memphis. Welcome to barbecue heaven. The Rendezvous has the best ribs you can ever put in your mouth. It's a really neat old place that has been around since 1948. We asked someone snap a pic while waiting on our food. Our mouths were pretty much watering at this point!After we ate we drove around to see some of the sights. This is Beale street. Many moons ago this would not have been a safe place to walk around but Memphis is doing a great job revitalizing their downtown. I don't know if anyone has been watching the show "America's Got Talent" but recently they had a group called The Beale Street Flippers. In the middle of this pic(white shorts) you can see two of them here. They had been doing their routine but we missed most of it.The Federal Express Forum is where they host all the big shows and concerts now. Did you know Fed Express is headquartered in Memphis?On the way out of town today I tried capturing a pic of this Fed Express plane. These planes are so large that I love watching them.

We really enjoyed our weekend. The weather was picture perfect. No humidity and very low 80's. If you ever have a chance to go to Memphis, check it out.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend!





26 comments:

Jacquie said...

OHHH! That looks like a FUN trip!

KathyB. said...

I am hungry for ribs. Did you get good and messy from eating them?

I have never been to Memphis, thanks for taking me on a little jaunt through the highlights !

Anonymous said...

Sure looks like fun Susie. Many of your followers are going to be craving ribs today!!! (including me!) That's a great snap of the four of you. Have a great day.

beckie said...

Susie, thanks for a great tour of Memphis. It has been years and years since we were there and I really only remember seeing Elvis's estate.

It looks like a really fun place to visit with lots to do and see. The BBQ place sounds delicious. Glad you had fun!

Terri said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! Maybe memphis is worth a trip - we're ~ 5 hours away from there.

Darla said...

What fun~~~especially the BBQ~~~

Becky said...

Ahhhhhh! I'm sad that you were so close and we couldn't get together! Glad you had fun, I'm sure Francis and Tommy will never forget the wonderful trip.

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hi Susie, an interesting look at Memphis. I haven't been there in years and when I was there I didn't eat the ribs:( Didn't see those neat little street cars either.

Sun records sure doesn't look like a place where so many famous singers got their start. Kind of an ordinary old building.
Marnie

Unknown said...

How wonderful to see pictures of places one may never see in real life. Enjoyed going through all the lovely sights...thanks, Susie. Great to see the family pic too!

Ginger said...

Hey Susie, I love Memphis too. I think people who say bad things about it haven't been in the past few years, because the revitalization is really amazing. Glad you had a good time!

George said...

When I was working I had to go to Memphis on business a couple of times a year, but I never made it to Beale Street. One of these days I would like to get back for a visit -- and for the ribs!

Ashley ~ said...

Looks like a great weekend, and I've heard about those "Rendezvous Ribs." Good stuff, huh*? Thanks for sharing your weekend via pics and blog*! See ya in FarmsVille*! Have a great Monday*!
((hugs)) _Ashley*

Dirt Princess said...

What a good time!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Susie, It's funny that you mentioned Rendezvous. I've never been there--but my best friend's hubby thinks it's the best place in the world to eat ribs. SO--I guess I need to try it sometime.

Glad you had a good time in Memphis. All I think about when I think of Memphis is that it's the HOTTEST place in the country in summer... ha ha

Hugs,
Betsy

TC said...

Looks like y'all had a good time Ms. Susie. And thanks for makin me hungry for some ribs!

Jen said...

I really want to go to Graceland!!
Looks like you all had a great time-if the ribs were good I'm sure it was a fantastic time!

Naturegirl said...

Susie! Thank you for sharing these images of Memphis!Always nice to travel!
Thank you for your continued support and encouragement while I am on my healing journey!
Feeling strong..God is good! hugs aNNA xo

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

That does look like a fun place to visit. I love seeing what other cities look like. I've never been to the south but the more I see of it, the more I want to visit. Beale street does look like a fun street.

deedee said...

I've never been to Memphis ... until now :) Thanks for taking us all with you. The pictures were wonderful.

marmee said...

susie, what a treat to spend time with your family in memphis...i have never been there. i really need to explore more of tn. glad you all had a great time, with good food.

The JR said...

I did see the Flippers on AGT. Love the pictures. Looks like ya'll had a good time.
Ramona

Sandy said...

How cool that you got see some of the Beale Street Flippers in action! I did see them on TV. It looks like you had a wonderful visit. Somewhere there is a huge antique store there I am dying to visit, its called Bo-Jo's and has 40,000 square feet of goodies! Maybe we can stop in on our way to Gatlinburg as we have decided to drive and make some stops along the way.

Susie said...

Hey Sandy, I wonder if that Bo-Jo's is downtown Memphis?

I haven't forgotten about emailing hiking trails to you. Just been a little busy. Promise it will be coming soon.

A. Joy said...

Thanks so much for the tour of Memphis! Lovely city! Enjoyed every photo!

trailrider731 said...

hay hay, sounds like you had a great road trip, gotta love those trips with family and friends, well most of the time!!!

seeya,
the best is yet to come!!!!

Connie said...

What a fun time! Ribs sound yummy. I enjoyed seeing the pictures of Memphis, Susie. :)