Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Legacy of Love

If you have been a reader of mine for awhile you know how much my grandparents meant to me. Even though they have been gone for quite a while there isn't many days that go by that they don't cross my mind.

When we were younger my sister and I spent many days of the summer at their home. There are many things I remember about them and one thing that stands out is popa always taking pictures during special events or holidays. Little did I know at the time how important these photos would become.

While I was visiting my mom recently I asked her if we could get the "old" pictures out. Of course she didn't mind so out they came........................................................................................
What's this? Glad you asked. This is an old suitcase that houses some of the most priceless things I know. To me, this is a suitcase full of love. There are pictures in here of family, distant relatives that I didn't ever know, friends of my mom and aunt, and friends of grandma and popa. Some of these photos are really old. There are even a few tin-types in here. My popa loved to fish so it didn't surprise me to find this.Here he is showing off his good looking catch. Even though I never fish I really do enjoy it. Seems like popa was always doing something. I never knew him to sat still. He was a very hard worker and worked on the railroad all his life. This pictures shows him(far right) with his crew.I thought this was a neat picture. It is of my great-grandfather(my grandma's dad). I have no idea how old he is here but he must of been pretty young.This picture? Well we have no idea who this is. I just thought it was so cute. At first I thought it was a little girl but on the back it has a boy's name.

I enjoy going through these pictures so much. It reminds me of the love grandma and popa had for their family and friends.

They loved God and when you were around them you knew it. My popa helped start a small church in the town where they lived. It's where we went when visiting them. They loved gardening(I think this is where I got my green thumb) and both loved fishing. They loved their family and neighbors. I remember on holidays grandma always preparing a plate for popa to take to someone who was alone.

Even though looking at these pictures is great, it's the love I feel each time I look at them. Grandma and popa helped anybody they could, to me they left a legacy. I surely hope one day when I leave this earth that I will have done the same.

To close this post I found this video that speaks loudly to me. Hope you enjoy!

27 comments:

Cortney said...

Of course, I'm gonna love this post! I didn't know that Popa had helped start a church; are you talking about the one in Delaplaine???

Susie said...

Yes Cort, the little Church of Christ.

Lanny said...

The little boy looks like he could well have been a playmate of Christopher Robin.

Susie said...

Lanny I think you are right. The neat thing about that picture is it had been turned into a postcard. I found several pictures like that.

Unknown said...

What a wealth of treasure stored in that suitcase! Truly a wonderful love-filled post Susie. Somewhere over the rainbow I know there are more than a few people smiling at YOU!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Susie, As I probably said before---make sure you get all of the info you can from your parents before they are gone. I too inherited alot of old pictures. Many of them were not marked --so I have no idea who they are. OH--how I wish I did.

Love your photos! Family history is so important.
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Susie, this is such a touching post. I loved the old photos and the stories about your grandparents and your memories from childhood with them.

Anonymous said...

The old suitcase is a neat way to house those old photos of family Susie! What a lovely tribute to your grandparents.

Jacquie said...

You went straight for my heart with this one, Susie! I LOVE old photos, old suitcases, pretty much anything old!! You are so blessed to have all those pictures.

Great video!

(Are you back to exercising yet??)

Susie said...

Darla you say such sweet things and I really do appreciate them.

Betsy you are so right. I try to ask as many questions as I can think of. Plus my mom and aunt have written lots of their memories down too.

Thank Mildred I'm glad you enjoy these stories. Me and Bec were fortunate enough to get to spend many wonderful days with them.

Thanks Racquel I guess grandma started putting the pics in the suitcase so many years ago.

Jacquie-I'm glad you enjoyed the story and video. I cherish all the memories I have of my grandparents.

Unknown said...

I'm like you, very fortunate to have had such wonderful grandparents.

I like the idea of storing those old photo's in a suitcase. I might have to look for one now.

I can never understand it when I see family photo's at antique stores and flea markets. Who could get rid of family photos?

Jen said...

Great video and song to go along with this post.

Pictures=Priceless!!

Becky said...

Oh Sis I love that old suitcase! It's been a couple of years since I looked through it. I sure think about grandma and poppa alot too!

What a beautiful song....I've never heard it before.

beckie said...

Susie, you are so right about the treasures. Old pictures can help us stay connected to the past in a tangible way. Thanks for sharing your precious memories with us.

Be sure to write down as much info as you can about each one so that future generations can enjoy and connect witth them too. I have so many old photos of my grandmother's. Sadly, I didn't have her write any names or places before she died. My Mom went before her, so I have no one to ask now. Still I enjoy looking at them and the ones I do know have the names on them now so my daughter and grandkids will know about some of their ancestors/

Susie said...

Milah-I don't know how people get rid of family pictures either. I could never part with the ones I have.

Jen-I'm so glad you liked my story and the video. I'm in agreement with you, the pictures are priceless.

Bec-That song is usually heard on Christian radio. It's great isn't it?

Beckie-I'm sorry to hear you have no one to ask about your pictures but at least you always find enjoyment from looking at them. Hope you have a wonderful weekend my friend.

Unknown said...

Come by and read about this award please.

Connie said...

Aren't old photos wonderful? Such memories they bring and such treasures they are. I enjoyed hearing more about your family, Susie.:D

Rose said...

Susie, these photos are priceless. Last winter I borrowed some of my mother's old scrapbooks to scan many of the old family photos onto my computer. I want to make sure that these precious photos are never lost.

Your grandparents sound like wonderful people--a legacy of love is worth more than all the fame and fortune in the world.

Susie said...

Daisy-I'm glad you enjoyed the photos and my story. I wouldn't take anything for the photos that I have brought home.

Rose-That sounds like a great idea to put your photos on the computer. Do you have a backup for them in case something happens to your computer?

Terri said...

That suitcase is a treasure trove, isn't it? You're so blessed to have access to it, aren't you?

marmee said...

very cool to see all those precious memories in black and white photos...i love the suitcase housing your treasures.

Meems said...

Hi Susie, That old suitcase probably carries more memories than those precious photos it houses now. What a vintage idea for storage... I like it. It is a meaningful thing for you to bring us along with your most treasured family and the ones you love the most. Very nice tribute to your grandma and popa. It reminds me how all the time we spend with our little ones is recorded somewhere deep in their child-hearts and every single time together with them matters. Thanks, Susie.
Meems @ Hoe and Shovel

Susie said...

Terri-Yes it is. Every time I go through it I usually pick out a couple of new pics to bring home.

Marmee-I love the black/white photos and who knows how old that suitcase it.

Thanks Meems I have wonderful childhood memories of my grandparents.

Anonymous said...

What a treasure to have so many photos from years past. I enjoyed your post!
Karen

Sandy said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandparents! You featured one of my favorite songs in the video. Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comment. Have a wonderful day!

Susie said...

Hi Karen-thanks for visiting. That suitcase is a big treasure chest of pictures.

Thanks Sandy, that is a great song isn't it? I hope you are having a great day.

Leedra said...

It is so good that the pictures are intact to go with your great memories.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Leedra’s Greeting Cards

Photography By Leedra