Friday, October 15, 2010

Remembering our Arkansas vacation

When we were on vacation in northern Arkansas this past summer, we stumbled onto something we didn't know existed.We love to travel back roads cause you never know what you might find. As we were driving along we came to the Norfork dam and a campsite. We ventured into the campsite and then across the street we noticed this sign. But more than the sign, it was the sight of the bathrooms that caught my attention. If you travel back roads much you'll find there aren't as many of these as you might wish. (smile).
Neither of us had ever been to a fish hatchery before so we decided to explore a bit. Plus the price of admission was too good. No charge! The first thing you notice are these tanks that seem to go on for ever.
And as you can see they were filled to the brim with trout. I've never seen so many fish in my life.
They were beautiful and some quite large. If you enlarge this pic you can see big daddy in the middle.These are the pumps that keep the water circulating. It was quite an operation they had. Also they had netting across the top to keep birds from having a tasty dinner.Here is where the little babies start out. This room was really cold.Look at all those babies. Can you imagine how many thousands are in here? And they have many tanks of these little guys.The hatchery was located on this creek. They had built this nice walk along deck to aid in fishing. It is a catch/release creek mostly for kids to learn how to trout fish. I really loved the creek and could have spent many hours there just watching and listening. It had lots of trout swimming around.

If you are ever in this part of Arkansas I would recommend checking it out. We had a great time while there.

17 comments:

Rose said...

Looks like Arkansas' lakes and streams will be filled with trout for some time! Backroad adventures are often so much more interesting than staying on the highway. By the way, I can spot a restroom a mile away when I'm traveling:)

Connie said...

That was really neat to see, Susie! I've never seen a fish hatchery before. Thanks for sharing that. :)

Dorothy said...

Great pictures for this post, Susie! Many years ago we stumbled across a fish hatchery in Arkansas, too. Maybe it was the same one, I don't know. Very interesting!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting to see Susie and great photos!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

How neat, Susie..... Where is that in Arkansas??? That is just so interesting... Isn't it great to just 'happen upon' something so interesting????

Thanks for sharing.

Hugs,
Betsy

Jacquie said...

I went to a fish hatchery on a field trip once, but I don't remember if it was there or not. That's not a far drive, so I'm wondering if it's the one. Interesting stuff.

George said...

Thanks for taking us along on your visit to the hatchery. I know Tennessee has several of these as well, but I've never visited one.

Darla said...

Well I have never seen anything quite like this. Very interesting!

The JR said...

I would luv to go trout fishing!

Deb said...

how cool Susie....love the photos...

Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

Isn't Arkansas beautiful? Especially the northern part where you were. The Ozarks are amazing. I think it gets overlooked--but maybe that is a good thing. Thanks for sharing your vacation!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I've been to a catfish farm but never a trout hatchery. :)

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I love taking back roads too, even if it takes longer. The hatchery is really interesting. We've have some here but they are all salmon hatcheries. It looks really pretty there.

trailrider731 said...

hay thanx for sharing!!! it IS VERY interesting, I've been through some nice hills of Arkansas on my way to campgrounds in Missouri!

LM

marmee said...

driving on backroads is the best...it is amazing what you can find. little treasures just waiting to be discovered.
happy autumn

Anonymous said...

Hi Susie,that's so interesting! I've not seen a hatchery and it must have been fascinating to see so many fish at one place! I like the views of the creek too.

Have a great weekend! Always a pleasure to have you stop by my blog:))

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Thanks for sharing your vacation photos. We rarely go anywhere, so I like to see what others see on theirs.